The Builders' Exchange of Santa Clara County is a nonprofit
association of subcontractors, general contractors,
architects, engineers, material supplier's, manufacturers'
representatives and others closely related to the construction
industry. The governing board of the exchange is an
elected cross-section of construction business professionals.
The exchange's goal is to provide a central location
to review current construction blueprints and to collect
timely construction information.
The Builders' Exchange was established in the Santa
Clara Valley in 1893 and is the second oldest exchange
in California. The Founding officers included the following
Andrew J. McIlvain- President
A contractor/builder who lived on Minor Avenue.
Wm. S. Boules- Vice President
Lived on N. 10th Street.
Rhinehart L. Stock- Treasurer
Owned the company Ingalls and Stock, on S. 2nd Street
Josiah G. Cherrie- Financial Secretary
M.J.& J.; Shelf and Builders Hardware, Tools and
Cutlery, on S. 1st Street
Some of the early advertisers
in the first Builders' Exchange book were as follows:
W.J. Wolcott. Mr. Wolcott constructed City Hall
and the Post Office.
Balata Paint Works. Owners George B. McKee and
A. DeRochenbrune Jr. manufactured paint and were located
at 2nd Street and San Fernando (70-84 E. San Fernando).
They made house paint, carriage paint and also sold
oil, glass, brushes and paper hangings.
Pacific Manufacturing Co. The mill produced doors,
frames and hardware, blinds, molding and trims with
lumber from the Santa Cruz mountains. Its officers were
George P. Thurston, President, James H. Pierce, Vice
President and R.T. Pierce as Secretary.
Glenwood Lumber Co. was located at 34 N. 3rd
Street with it's lumber coming from Rockport, Mendocino
County. It also operated a hotel, store and mill as
well as the Post Office in Rockport. It had its own
steamer line to the port of Alviso. Morgan Hill had
a branch of the company and the city was largely built
by Glenwood Lumber Company products.
Dreischmeyer's Brick Manufactory. Located at
13th and Williams Street.
Remillard Brick Co. One of the largest brick
producers in the western states, with branches in Pleasanton
and San Rafael. It was located on the banks of Coyote
Creek by Keyes Street.
In several areas of the Santa Clara Valley there were
natural deposits of clay and sand mix in just the right
proportions to make bricks, making it easy to mine the
clay into bricks.
Greens Lumber Yard. Mr. Green came to San Jose
in 1890 and for nearly 20 years was engaged to contracting
and building. He built the Beach Building on Santa Clara
and 2nd Street and the Lux residence in East San Jose.
George B. Bollinger. A real estate owner with
a 1000 acre farm a few miles east of Milpitas.
Frank V. Wright. He was Secretary of the San
Jose Building and Loan Association, the assistant Cashier
of the Union Savings Bank and past President of the
California State League of Mutual Building and Loan
Charles Wehner. A contractor of street improvements
and sewer works, he constructed the outlet for the main
sewer in the city near Alviso.
The Exchange's first location in 1894, at 30E. Santa
Clara Street Rm. 1, was simply a second story room in
a commercial building next to a bank, looking out onto
Santa Clara Street. Later, moving to 36 S. Second Street,
San Jose, which is the parking lot north of Zanotto's
Grocery Store today. Its third location was at 460 Park
Ave, San Jose. The present Builders' Exchange is at
400 Reed Street in Santa Clara.